At Kitano Tenmangu in Kyoto, one of the “Three Gardens of Snow, Moon and Flowers(Setsugetsuka)“, “Flower Garden,” is open to the public. The flowering situation of the plum blossoms is as shown in the photo (bottom), and today (March 9), the number of people was small because it was a weekday.
The best time to see it is this weekend! According to the weather forecast, the temperature will be high and sunny until March 13th (Sun), and it will rain on Monday. The final light-up is scheduled for this weekend (March 11th to 13th, Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
In addition, “Kitano’s sword” is open to the public at “Houbutsuden”. The important cultural property on display, Onikirimaru (Higekiri), is a legendary treasure sword that Watanabe no Tsuna cut off the arm of the Ichi-jō modori-bashi(Ichijomodori Bridge) demon (Hashihime) during the Heian period. If you like swords, this is a must-see.
The legend of Hashihime in Ichi-jō modori-bashi(Ichijomodori Bridge) is written in the article below.
This year’s “Umean” is a revival of “Hana no Niwa,” one of the “Setsugetsuka’s Three Gardens” which was created by Matsunaga Teitoku, who was praised as an ancestor of poets, renga, and haiku during the Edo period.
Setsugetsuka refers to the beautiful natural scenery of “snow, moon, and flowers.”
Reiwa reconstruction “Setsugetsuka’s Three Gardens”
- “Snow Garden” at Myomanji Temple
- Kiyomizu Temple’s “Moon Garden”
- “Flower Garden” at Kitano Tenmangu Shrine
◎ Baien “Flower Garden”
- Opening period: January 28 (Friday) to late March (the closing date is decided depending on the flowering situation)
- Illumination: Friday, Saturday and Sunday from February 25th (Friday) to March 13th (Sunday)
Opening hours (normal): 9:00 to 16:00 (reception ends at 15:40)
- Opening time (light-up period): Sunset to 20:00 (reception 19:40 ends)
- Entrance fee: Adults (junior high school students and above) 1,000 yen, children (elementary school students) 500 yen
◎ Kitano’s sword “Houbutsuden”.exhibition hall
- Opening period (2nd term): January 28th (Friday) -April 3rd (Sunday)
- Hours: 9:00 to 16:00 (reception ends at 15:45)
- Admission fee: Adults 1,000 yen, junior high school students 500 yen, children / school trip students 250 yen
There is a free parking lot in the precincts (south side bait, east side entrance), but parking is difficult on Saturdays and Sundays and on the 25th of every month.
* Please check the “Kitano Tenmangu HP” for details as the schedule may change.